Friday, August 6, 2010

Project Linus - a wonderful way to provide love for children

It's finally Friday.  I am getting a very late start on everything this morning - family drama and all.  It's wash day which seems to slow down any creativity I might have in mind to do.  In fact, it looks like the sewing machine will sit idle today :(




Yesterday I finished crocheting a blanket for one of my favorite volunteer organization, Project Linus

"Project Linus is a non-profit organization with a two-fold mission.


First, it is our mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”

Second, it is our mission to provide a rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children."

I try to complete three afghans (crocheted blankets) every two months.  It is easier to do this during the winter when I don't mind having the blanket cover me as I work. 

The Project Linus Missions is:

"Project Linus is comprised of hundreds of local chapters and thousands of volunteers across the United States. Each volunteer and local chapter all work together to help us achieve our mission which is to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”


Together we have distributed over three million blankets to children in need since our inception in 1995."

If you would like to participate in this wonderful organization, please visit their website http://projectlinus.org/index.html  There are many chapters all over the country.  I don't attend the local quilt making days because of transportation difficulties but the local leader is very willing to come by and pick up the afghans I have completed.  Each chapter usually has a number of drop-off locations available where you take completed blankets.  They do have some rules as to what the blankets can be made of (all cotton, for example) but they can be quilts, or crocheted or knitted blankets.  Here is a picture of my most recently completed afghan:


I selected a really bright pink for this one - think kid colors!!

I will post the pattern at a later date.

On a brighter side, my daughter, Megan, of http://kitschysuburbia.blogspot.com/, awarded me with a Blog with Substance.  That sure was nice of her since I've only been blogging for 5 days, but I guess she loves me (just kidding, I know she loves her mom).


Rules for award recipients:


     1.  Thank the person for the award

     2.  Sum up your blogging philosophy, motivation, and experience using five words.

     3.  Pass it on to 10 other blogs which you feel have real substance.

My five words:

     1.  Expression
     2.  Sharing
     3.  Quilting
     4.  Food
     5.  Learning

And the 10 blogs I'm passing this out to:

1.  Heather & Megan @ Quiltstory
2.  Rae Ann @ Stash Manicure
3.  Julie @ Jaybird Quilts
4.  Khristina @ Freebies For Crafters
5.  Amy @ Diary of A Quilter
6.  Amandajean @ Crazy Mom Quilts
7.  ohnikki @ 30 And Quilting
8.  Kimberly @ Main Street Market Designs
9.  Brooke @ Babbling Brooke
10. Emma @ Quiltfish

These are all great blogs - check them out and tell them I sent you!!

That about does it for this Friday.  It has been an interesting week.  I think I'm beginning to get a hang of this blogging thing - after bugging my daughter many, many times for help.  Next week I will post a new recipe, let you know how my new class is going, and share the crochet pattern that I use for my Project Linus afghans.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I had no idea that Megan's mom had a blog!! I ADORE Megan and Kitschy Suburbia! She is so sweet :) And clearly you are too - thank you SO MUCH for the kind award, Linda!! I really appreciate it!! xoxox :)

Megan Harmeyer said...

Aww Brooke - thanks. :) Dang family drama! Sometimes I'm glad I live 800 miles away. LOL I love Project Linus - I *almost* wish I did enough blankets to donate to them. But then again, I don't have enough time to do what I do already!

Linda Gilli said...

Brooke - you are most certainly welcome and definitely deserve the award for your blog.

Linda Gilli said...

Megan - Project Linus would be happy to receive just blanket a year from you!

Khris said...

Thank you for naming me in your award Linda...I appreciate that.
Hugs Khristina aka Khris

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...